Freshly made Air Fryer Pumpkin Spice Donuts covered in a homemade cinnamon-sugar coating. These easy-to-make Pumpkin Spice Donuts have a crisp outer coating yet they are so soft and fluffy inside, enjoy them with a healthy coating of cinnamon sugar, or your favorite glaze.
Air Fryer Pumpkin Spice Donuts
Enjoy freshly made pumpkin spice donuts made right in your air fryer. This easy-to-follow from scratch pumpkin spice donut recipe is the perfect way to celebrate the start of fall. Enjoy these delicious air fryer donuts with your favorite cup of coffee or a tall glass of milk.
Storing Air Fryer Pumpkin Donuts
Store your air fryer donuts in an airtight container, they will keep for about 2-3 days. They are best when eaten directly after cooking or on the same day. See below for some fun flavor inspirations that you can try!
Tools You Will Need
An Air Fryer
I have heard great things about the new Ninja Foodi 9-in-1 Air Fryer + More. If you are looking for an appliance that does multiple jobs then this is the one for you! I highly recommend you pick the air fryer that fits your family size.
I’m all about making things easier, grabbing a donut cutter will save you a ton of stress in the future. However, it’s not necessarily required when making this recipe, if you want a dependable donut cutter grab this one from Amazon.
Large Drinking Glass and Shot Glass
When you are in a pinch sometimes it’s easier to grab what’s on hand. If you are like me and collect shot glasses, you now can say they have another function besides collecting dust on that mantel. The trick is making sure the Large drinking glass is at least 2x the size of the shot glass.
Pastry Bag Tube
This is a trick I have used many times before. If you have one on hand these make perfect donut hold cutters. Once you get your groove you will see how easy this method is when you’re in a pinch.
Pumpkin Spice Donuts Ingredients
- Granulated white sugar
- Brown sugar
- tbsp butter (room temperature)
- Egg yolks
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Pumpkin spice
- Sour cream
These homemade pumpkin spice donuts are made from scratch and baked in an air fryer. This easy-to-make pumpkin donut recipe is made with just a few ingredients you can find in your local grocery store.
How To Make Pumpkin Spice Donuts
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, using a spatula, mix the white sugar and butter together until it becomes crumbly. Once it has a crumbly consistency, as pictured in the photo above, you will need to add the large egg yolks and stir until combined.
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Donut Dough
In a separate large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, and salt. To bring the dough together, you will need to add in the remaining ingredients in 3rds.
First, you will fold in 1/3 of the flour mixture, brown sugar, and sour cream ingredients into the sugar-egg mix you made earlier. You will only need to mix until these are combined together, do not overmix. Mix in the remaining flour and sour cream; then refrigerate dough until ready for use.
How to Cut Pumpkin Spice Donuts
When you are ready to cook your air fryer donuts, preheat the air fryer to 350°, while the air fryer is preheating, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3/4″ thick. Using a 3-inch and a 1- inch cookie cutter, cut 6 large circles in the dough and then cut holes in the middle of each to form the doughnut shapes.
Or, if you have a donut cutter, you will be able to cut the donut and hole at the same time. Brush 1/2 of the melted butter over each side of the doughnuts using a pastry brush.
How to Cook Pumpkin Spice Donuts
Now it is time to cook the air fryer pumpkin spice donuts! Place 1/2 of the doughnuts into the air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes. Remove the doughnuts from the fryer and brush cooked donuts with remaining melted butter and immediately dip into the cinnamon/pumpkin spice/sugar mix.
Repeat these steps with the remaining doughnuts. You may need to adjust cooking times according to your particular air fryer.
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- pumpkin spice
- granulated white sugar
- butter (melted)
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin spice, white sugar, and cinnamon together. I like to use a bowl because you can add the donuts to the cinnamon-sugar coating and just swirl it around in the bowl. Feel free to use your fingers, tongs, or designated spoon. They are best enjoyed hot and fresh!
Pumpkin Spice Donuts Toppings
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Vanilla Glaze
- Chocolate Glaze
- Maple Bacon Glaze
- Powdered Sugar
- Melted Cake Frosting (Cream Cheese, Vanilla, etc.)
The next best thing about these easy-to-make air fryer donuts is the fact that you can fully customize it with your favorite flavors for toppings. I have dropped a few ideas for you to try, I’m a huge fan of the recommended cinnamon sugar topping, however, I have found a new love for the maple bacon glaze.
Donut Filling Ideas
- Espresso Cream Cheese Filling
- Maple Creme Filling (then topped with a maple glaze and crisp bacon bits.)
- Chocolate Ganache
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling.
- The possibilities are endless!
Some Tasty Idea’s to Mix it Up
Instead of using a donut cutter just use a large glass to cut the dough and skip taking out the middle. After you air fry your donut let it sit for a few minutes. Using a piping bag insert the tip into the middle of the donut and fill it with your favorite fall flavors.
Pumpkin Spice Recipe Ideas
Looking for some more pumpkin-inspired recipes? Try some of my most popular pumpkin-flavored recipes, like my Baked Buttermilk Pumpkin Donuts. This baked pumpkin donut recipe is made with buttermilk for a fluffy yet moist donut. Made with no yeast this flavorful baked donut is topped with a coating of cream cheese frosting.
Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- 1/4 cup Granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 2 LG Egg yolks
- 2 1/4 c All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Pumpkin spice
- 1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 c Sour cream
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 1/2 c granulated white sugar
- 2 tbsp butter (melted)
- Mix together 1/2 cup white sugar and butter together in a medium bowl until it becomes crumbly. Add the 2 Lg egg yolks and stir until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt into a separate bowl. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 the sour cream into the sugar-egg mix and stir until these are combined together. Mix in the remaining flour and sour cream; then refrigerate dough until ready for use.
- Mix 1 tsp pumpkin spice, 2 1/2 tsp white sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to about 3/4" thick. Using a 3-inch and a 1- inch cookie cutter, cut 6 large circles in the dough and then cut holes in the middle of each to form the doughnut shapes. Or, if you have a donut cutter, you will be able to cut the donut and hole at the same time.
- Brush 1/2 of the melted butter over each side of the doughnuts.
- Place 1/2 of the doughnuts into the air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes. Remove the doughnuts from the fryer and brush cooked donuts with remaining melted butter and immediately dip into the cinnamon/pumpkin spice/sugar mix. Repeat these steps with the remaining doughnuts.
- You may need to adjust cooking times according to your particular air fryer.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 446Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 2gSugar: 33gProtein: 7g