Hey mommas! If your reading this post because you are experiencing a clogged milk duct let me just say I’ve been there! I’ve breastfeed my 2 girls and am still breastfeeding my youngest. I defiantly know how much pain your experiencing an I can defiantly say this is not one of the highlights of having your new bundle of joy. But fear not momma! This shall pass and you will be back to your normal self sooner then you think!
Let’s first look at what can cause clogged milk ducts.
1. Not feeding on your usual schedule with your baby which causes very full “boobies”
2. Your diet, you need to drink at-least 8 cups of water a day but I would recommend if it’s possible 12. The more water the better!
3. A wire bra, as cute as those puppies are it just doesn’t agree with our milk production.
4. A cold or flu. Since your body is preventing you from most likely eating or drinking it will clog your duct which in turn will make you feel even worse.
There is other causes but I’ve found these to be the most common in my experience.
Whatever you do moms do NOT stop feeding your baby on this boob. It will create a backup of milk which will cause you even more pain. Yeah I know how is that even possible it’s already excruciating!
This is the BEST! And proven technique I’ve used which I found can you believe it on yahoo Q&A.
Use this method:
1. Take a very hot/warm shower concentrating the hot water on the breast with the clogged milk duct.
2. This will hurt but it also helps with the pain, massage your breast starting at your cheats leading to your nipple.
3. Massage your breast to the best of your ability while the hot water is running on it. Do this for 15-25 minutes
—YOU CAN ALSO TAKE A BATH BUT I FOUND THE SHOWER TO WORK BETTER—
4. Immediately get out and grab your little one position yourself like a cow over your little one. (This sounds crazy but bare with me) Get on all fours on your bed or a CarSeat.
5. Concentrate the little ones mouth and put the clogged side to where their chin is. This ensures the best suction.
6. Let the little one feed as usual.
You will see a great increase in the little ones drinking and even feel a great gush of milk giving you the signal that the clog has passed. One woman described her encounter with this method as a big mess. My little one and myself found this both amusing and amazing when the rush of extra milk finally came to her after 3 days of drinking off of one breast basically.
Please note you will not see a big difference until the next day or hours later. Also make sure you drink plenty of water after you use this method and keep keep keep drinking it! I made the mistake of drinkin much to much coffee and juice and not enough water which in turn gave me more then one clogged milk duct.
Please be careful moms as a clogged milk duct can produce a fever. I thankfully had a few friends at the time this happened to help me watch my little one. If possible try this method ASAP! The quicker you pass this clog the faster you can get back to your normal self.
Read more of our helpful breastfeeding tips! Click HERE to learn 2 secrets to healing cracked nipples!