Pressure Cooker Filipino Beef Tapa
If you have ever visited the Philippines you will find that we eat rice pretty much all day long. When I visited my family in Manila for a month in 2004, I ate this for breakfast pretty much every single day. That is to say unless I was having a sweet tooth craving, in which case I would eat ensaymada (a buttery, cheesy sweet cake). Personally, I love to break the yolk of the egg on top of the rice and then mix it all together.
Instant Pot Filipino Beef Tapa
If you have never had a sunny side up egg on top of your rice before, then you do not know what you’re missing out on in life! The usual way to make beef tapa is to use cured beef which you would revive with the marinade (overnight) that is used in this recipe.
Instead of using cured beef we are using fresh beef and letting it pressure cook in the sauce making it cut like butter and oh so finger licking good. I highly recommend you try this recipe out with garlic fried rice and a sunny side up egg, but you can always just enjoy it with plain jasmine rice as my kiddos do.
If you liked this dish check out my Pressure Cooker/ Instant Pot Filipino BBQ Ribs. For more Pressure Cooker/ Instant Pot Recipe head over HERE to find a list of other delicious meals you can try with your family. Let me know what you and your family think of this delicious Filipino style breakfast dish in a comment below.
- 2 lbs of Beef Sirloin, thin sliced or slice thin yourself
- 3 Tbs of oil
- 6 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 Cups of water
- 1/2 Cup of Soy Sauce, I used Silver Swan a Filipino Brand
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Oyster Sauce, or 3 tsp of Mirin
- 1 Whole Lime Juiced
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs water
- Turn on your pot and press the Saute or the Chicken/Meat Button, Add oil and garlic and let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add sliced Sirloin and cook until browned on both sides stirring often.
- Once Sirloin is browned add the brown sugar, salt and pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce (or mirin), lime juice and 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Once all ingredients are combined cook on Manual HIGH 12 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off do a quick release of pressure and then open the lid.
- Mix cornstarch with water and then add to the pot, turn on Saute mode or press the Chicken/Meat button and let boil for 5-10 minutes stirring every 2 minutes.
- Serve alongside fresh steamed jasmine rice, or garlic fried rice topped with a sunny side up egg.