Get in the spirit of this new Disney and Pixar Movie – The Good Dinosaur, with these ultra cute cake pops! I made these for my kids and they freaked out! They love cake pops but were more excited to be enjoying them on the day we watched this amazingly moving film! My kids gave this film a two thumbs up! You can read our full review here if you would like, as well as find our other delicious The Good Dinosaur Movie Themed Footprint Chocolate Chip Cookies!
The Good Dinosaur Cake Pop’s
- 1 Box of Cake Mix
- all the ingredients the cake mix needs
- 1 Can of Frosting
- 3 Bag's of Wilson's Green Candy Melts
- Optional 1/2 of Crisco
- Candy Eyeballs
- Cake pop Sticks or Sturdy Straws
- Styrofoam block
- Bake the cake and set it aside to cool completely. Once completely cooled in a large mixing bowl crumble up the entire cake.
- Add 2/3 the can of frosting to the mix and mix this in by hand. If the mixture is still too dry add the remainder of the frosting.
- On a lined baking sheet with parchment paper, scoop out the cake mix onto the parchment paper using a cookie scooper.
- Roll each of the cake balls you have scooped onto the parchment paper, into smooth balls.
- Freeze this batch for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove the cake balls from the freezer and then roll them into ovals, put them again back on the parchment paper and then pinch lightly on one side of the oval's the eye sockets for Arlo's Eyes. See photo above for what the end dinosaur should look like before you freeze again.
- Freeze this batch again for up to 2 hours.
- Melt in a double broiler method 3 bags of Wilson's Green Candy Melts and then add in crisco to a tall cup.
- Pull the cake cops from the freezer and then dip the top of the cake pop stick in the melted green candy and then insert it about halfway through the bottom of the dino's head. Be careful to not squish the head and yet still get the stick at least half way in.
- Pop these back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes after you have finished inserting the sticks. (I do this because during the stick inserting time, the other cakepops have defrosted and become less manageable in my opinion.)
- Take those cake pops out and stir your melted green candy, which should still be beautifully melted, you can stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes to remelt it if you would like.
- Completely submerge the cake pops at this point and then spoons any extra chocolate on the bottom of the head to cover it completely.
- With a toothpick remove some of the chocolate where the eye sockets should be and then insert this into the styrofoam block. Move quickly and then insert the candy eyes where the eyes go and then with a toothpick draw a smile and then nostrils for the nose. Rinse and repeat until you have finished all of your cake pops, and WAHLAH!