As long as I can remember I have received a King Cake for my birthday every year on February 28th. Yes, that’s right it’s my birthday today yay! I am overwhelmed by the many friends and family who have wished me a very happy birthday today. To celebrate my birthday I made my own version of my favorite birthday cake that my step mom gets me every year. Although she is in my home country the Philippines and she can’t share this cake with me at the moment, I am happy to be able to share it with her here.
This recipe included a small spin on the cake that I just love to include in my cakes, a hint of strawberry. Even though this isn’t the exact traditional cake, it’s totally delicious and I highly suggest you give it a whirl. Normally my step mom orders a cake from our favorite bakery, but this year I decided to make the cake myself. I’m super excited to hear what yall think of this delicious recipe and how you shared it with your family.
Find more of my delicious recipes HERE. Did you like this recipe? Leave a comment below of what your family thought of this sweet recipe.
Mardi Gras King Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Combine milk and yeast in a stand mixer, let sit for a few minutes.
- With the dough hook attached and the mixer at a low speed, gradually add in butter, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Raise speed and add in eggs, one at a time. Continue mixing until <g class="gr_ gr_67 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim gr_inline_cards Grammar multiReplace" id="67" data-gr-id="67">a sticky dough forms</g>.
- Take dough out and drop onto floured surface, knead, and then return to mixing bowl. Cover with plastic and set in a warm spot for 1 hour. <g class="gr_ gr_71 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim gr_inline_cards Grammar multiReplace" id="71" data-gr-id="71">Dough</g> will almost double in size.
- While dough is rising, make your strawberries.
- Roughly chop 1.5 cups strawberries, blend, and mix with 1 tsp sugar + 2 tsp corn starch.
- Roughly chop 1.5 cup strawberries, then cook on medium heat with 1 tbs sugar, stirring frequently, until you have a <g class="gr_ gr_66 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim gr_inline_cards ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="66" data-gr-id="66">jam like</g> texture.
- Roll out dough into a large rectangle, then spread <g class="gr_ gr_72 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim gr_inline_cards Grammar only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="72" data-gr-id="72">on </g>a thick layer strawberry mixture with a spatula, leaving 2 inches on each edge free.
- Gently roll dough, making sure not to squeeze strawberries out as you go.
- Fold into a circle, and drop in a bundt pan with the seam side up.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Once done, transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Make icing by combining 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 tsp milk. Whisk thoroughly until smooth.
- When cake is cooled, drizzle icing along the top, and follow with sprinkles.