An Over The Top Dr Pepper® Cherry Float that’s perfect for summer BBQs. Beat the heat with this refreshing summer drink made with Dr Pepper Cherry soda.
Over The Top Dr Pepper® Cherry Float
When I think of summer, I think of warm days by the pool, cold drinks, good food, and amazing memories. Summer is definitely here and it’s time to play, eat good food and enjoy delicious drinks!
One of the many great things about having kids is experiencing your favorite childhood memories with them. One of my favorite childhood memories is drinking a delicious ice-cold ice cream float.
How much fun is it when your child finds what you found a fun way back when the dinosaurs roamed? That’s what my kids say when I refer to when I was a child. Among the many things I love to re-experience with my kids, I love to share the yummy foods and drinks I enjoyed when I was little during this time of the year.
Dr Pepper® Cherry Float
I remember when I would play a great game of soccer and my team would celebrate by heading to the nearest diner. My favorite thing to get at these diners was ice cream floats with Dr. Pepper®. They were so good and really made everything so much more special.
Fast forward to the present time, and you will find out not only is the Dr. Pepper® still around, but they now have a cherry-flavored soda. My kids love cherries and love their Dr. Pepper®, so I was super excited to share with my kids my over-the-top way of enjoying my favorite flavored float.
Dr Pepper® Cherry Float
I have peanut lovers and non-peanut lovers in my home, so I shared how to create this deliciously over-the-top Dr Pepper® Cherry Float with and without the peanuts.
Every recipe starts with a trip to one of our favorite stores, Target. We shop here so often that the kids know exactly which aisle to go down to be able to get their favorite soda and ice cream. To snag our delicious Dr Pepper® Cherry soda, we head over to the soda aisle and pick up a 12-pack and a few 2 liters.
Over The Top Chocolate Ring
What makes this summer treat over the top is the chocolate ring were will be adding to the rim of the glass. This chocolate ring can be made using your families favorite chocolate, or you can use peanut butter, or frosting, To make the chocolate rim simply follow the instructions on the recipe card.
Then dip the chocolate rimmed glass in chopped nuts, sprinkles, chocolate chips, toffee bits, or whatever your family loves. Then add the ice cream and cherry flavored Dr. Pepper soda, boom! Serve immediately.
Building our Dr Pepper® Cherry Floats
Next, we find our ice cream of choice, which today, was the Archer Farms 48 oz Ice Cream. The kids love their “fancy” flavors which go great with their “fancy” over-the-top float. The possibilities are endless with the ice cream pairings you can achieve while using Archer Farms Ice Cream.
Ice Cream Floats
My family loves to enjoy Ice Cream Floats and especially enjoys drinking them with one of their newest flavored sodas – Dr Pepper® Cherry. Although the soccer season is over and the kids are just enjoying the beautiful weather, I love to make these Over The Top Dr Pepper® Cherry Floats while we lounge around the pool or for fun backyard picnics.
My kids make the same faces I did at their age when they see these floats being made. The best part in their eyes is when they are finally able to top their floats with whatever they want and with how much ever they want. Feels so good to be able to share my childhood happy memory with them, and create a new one for them to remember and experience with their kids.
When is the last time you made an ice cream float?
- Dr Pepper® Cherry Soda
- 48 ozs of Archer Farms Ice Cream, any flavor Found at Target
- 1 Bag of Chocolate Chips, sweetened of unsweetened
- 1 Jar of Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate Syrup
- Whipped Cream
- Float glasses
- optional: peanuts
- In a double broiler method melt down the chocolate chips slowly stir the chocolate until it just starts to melt (do not over cook this chocolate).
- Take your float glasses and generously dip them top first into the chocolate,
- (optional) Then dip the glass straight into the peanuts or which ever nut topping you would like. If someone in your home has an allergy to nuts please skip step of the recipe.
- To top the glasses with the Maraschino Cherries, simply dip the cherries into the chocolate and then lightly place them on top of the glass rim.
- Let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes before you start to create the floats.
- Choose your favorite Archer Farms Ice Cream flavor and then load up the glass with how much ice cream you would like in your float.
- Then pour in your Dr Pepper® Cherry Soda, top with whipped cream, marshmallows, more Maraschino Cherries and more chocolate sauce.