This Irish Soda Bread is a quick and easy bread recipe you can whip together and spoil your family with. Also known as a quick bread, It’s a no yeast bread recipe that will take over your home with the sweet smell of fresh-baked bread. Baked in a cast iron pan this traditional Irish Soda Bread is full of flavor and oodles of raisins. Pair it with your favorite butter and jam’s for a tasty treat.
Fun fact that not many people know about me, I’m Irish! I get it from my momma. Lots of things can be said about my Irish roots and a lot of those stories start from when we immigrated to Virginia. I was born and raised in Virginia which my family dates all the way back to the 1700’s Virginia Settlers. I guess you could say I have a long history with this state yet much is still unknown about our history.
However, what we do know is thanks to my grandmother who has done an immense amount of research. Thanks to her I am connected with my ancestors and am able to learn something about our family’s past. While we didn’t grow up making traditional Irish dishes, Irish Soda Bread was a staple in our home.
- Buttermilk. The secret ingredient in this dish is, of course, the buttermilk. The buttermilk is what activates the baking soda and helps the bread rise without the need for yeast.
- Raisins. Traditional Irish Soda Bread includes raisins yet you can dress up this bread with anything you want. Add in some orange zest, nuts or other dried fruits for endless flavor combinations.
- Butter and Buttermilk Wash. This step is optional, however, I have found washing the bread with the melted butter and buttermilk helps keeps the bread moist. Although, I do like how crispy the bread gets when you skip this step, hence why it is optional.
Other Recipes You May Like
- Skip the pie crust in this Apple Pie Bread recipe, it’s made with love and your favorite apples.
- Put those ripe banana’s on your kitchen counter to good use with my Banana Chocolate Chip Bread.
- These light and fluffy Banana Blueberry Baked Donuts make a great breakfast treat.