The holidays aren’t truly complete in my Filipino American home without having the Maja Blanca on the table. I have grown up seeing these delicious dishes at all of our holiday parties. Depending on who brought it to the party always decided with it would feature delicious Latik of if it came in all it’s glory as is. If you are a coconut lover then this is the perfect dessert dish for you.
To back up and understand the origins of this delicious dish I would have to take you back in time to when The Philippines was a bigger mix of cultures. During the time when Spain had a lot of influence on our foods and language, you find delicious dishes that came from this. Maja Blanca has a rich historical background having originated from Spain and was adapted from the traditional Spanish holiday referred to as manjar blanco, which actually means white delicacy.
Maja Blanca is one of those recipes where it’s so easy to make and the ingredients are almost always on hand in our homes. That its normal to see this dish not just during the holidays but any day of the week. While you might only see them during the holidays you will find them amongst many Christmas Potlucks, Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve Parties. The consistency of Maja Blanca is thick, which is similar to gelatin and usually has a creamy or off-white color.
The secret ingredient to my standing ovation Maja Blanca can be found at your local Walmart. I find my NESTLÉ® La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk in store during my shopping trips with the kids. Found in the baking Asile you can catch this delicious product on the shelves near you. I typically like to make my own Latik for my Maja Blanca topping which is actually super easy to do. Find the full recipe for Maja Blanca as well as Latik which is made from canned coconut milk.
Find more recipes you can create with NESTLÉ® La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk on their website. There are so many delicious recipes you can create it’s hard to choose which one will make it on your dinner table each night. If you enjoyed my recipe please come back and leave a comment below of your families reaction and how you enjoyed your Casa Blanca.
Full Recipe Below
- Maja Blanca:
- 2 Cups of Canned Coconut Milk
- 1 Can of NESTLÉ® La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Cup of Corn Starch
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1 Cup of Sweet Crisp Corn
- 1 Cup of Milk
- 1 Can of Canned Coconut Milk
- In a large skillet or medium-sized pot bring to a boil the canned coconut milk. Once it starts to boil slowly whisk in NESTLÉ® La Lechera Sweetened Condensed Milk until well blended. bring to a boil again.
- Slowly whisk in the sugar and milk and let cook for 3-5 minutes on low/medium heat.
- In a separate bowl mix the cornstarch and water together until well blended. Slowly add this to the pot and whisk to blend well. The mixture will thicken very quickly, use a spatula to mix and then take off of the heat. Immediately transfer to a large pan or individual bowls.
- To Make Latik:
- In a skillet add canned coconut milk and on low heat let the mixture boil. Stir often, Continue to simmer until the coconut milk reduces to a thick cream. This process takes about an hour or so to do but keep a watchful eye on it.
- Continue to keep stirring and once the cream separates into coconut oil and latik quickly remove from the heat. Drain the Latik of any extra coconut oil and store in airtight container in the fridge.